We are looking for people that enjoy a 100%-plant-based dietary lifestyle to join us in our goals of sustainable and regenerative planting, applying fruit-based reforestation and environmentally-friendly construction methods, and decentralising food production while living closer to nature. We welcome and encourage a diverse spectrum of experiences and skills, along with motivation and an aspiration to learn. Knowledge of construction, sustainable methods of food production, and ecological technologies are a plus.
We do not charge money to stay here and help out, or to select a hectare of pasture, build a bamboo hut, and plant up a homestead fruit forest. However, please see our “Info” page for details on all facets of the project (including necessities that do indeed exist for each accordingly).
Daily tasks, work, projects, et cetera
- Planting! in ground from seed, rooting cuttings, in pots for the nursery and transplanting
- Propagating by rooting cuttings, air-layering, grafting
- Pulling weeds from around living spaces and trees, mulching heavily those trees
- Watering and maintaining the greenhouses/nursery, fertilising plants
- Chopping (unwanted) weed-trees and grasses
- Managing compost from kitchen and the composting toilets
- Cleaning the facilities and living spaces
- Harvesting fruits
- Pruning large trees
- Maintaining and upgrading facilities, trails, tools, and other infrastructure
- Collecting important local seeds and plants to propagate
- Educating oneself on sustainable polyculture principles and agroforestry (planting companions, fruit tree parameters and care)
- Collecting organic material to add to potting soil (leaves, tree moss, legume pods, and other matter from the island and neighbours’ fields)
- Planting toxic herbs and other plants that repel insects & snakes (alliums, marigold, tansy, mint, lavender, patchouli, neem, lemon grass, garlic vine…)
If you are seriously interested in joining us here at Terra Frutis, please fill out the —- Questionnaire —- and email it to us (instructions inside). We request that each individual planning to arrive at any Terra Frutis location fill out a separate questionnaire if capable of doing so, even if arriving with others. A security deposit of 60 USD will be collected in advance from each new arrival and recouped after two months; deductions from this amount include a share of the monthly electric/internet/water bills and any incurred costs of replacing lost/broken items or killed plants. Those that stay for less than two months forfeit their full security deposit.
All interested in potential membership will have their inquiries/questionnaires reviewed at our community meeting. The community will decide via consensus whether to extend an invitation to interested persons who have sent questionnaires. We only accept those who can commit to at least a three-week stay. Accepted applicants are considered “potential members” for their first six months here, during which time it will become apparent whether they are a proper fit for Terra Frutis. After this six-month trial period, existing members will decide via consensus whether to extend full membership.
Note that Terra Frutis is a collection of vegan projects — those that plan to exploit non-human animals, keep them in captivity, or consume their products while involved with Terra Frutis need not apply.